Below are 10 basic SEO strategies that you can implement. You can also check out Web CEO, which is a free SEO tool that can really take out a lot of the guess work.
1. Identify the main competitive keywords (4 or 5 for organic, 200 to 400 for PPC). These can be found via Wordtracker, which offers one day worth of detailed keyword information for $8. You can look at keywords from log files.
2. Create a website title that grabs attention. Most successful titles use important keywords and should be descriptive and provocative.
3. Add in a description of the website before the company name in the Page Title Syntax.
4. Include H1, H2 heading tags. Search engines often look for clues in headings and subheads, plus you can use keywords as well in those tags. You can also put keywords in the “alt” tags in images as well.
6. Start to employ the use of links. Google has started to weigh the use of links heavily when determining rank. Link your site from industry hubs, and others that have a high page rank. Request reciprocal links from other websites.
7. Get listed in directories. dmoz.com and others are free while Yahoo charges $299/year but it could be worth it to get faster results.
8. Start to build links submitting article and press releases, blogging, build an online forum, submit videos… basically anything that can build back links.
9. Setup an A/B testing service so that changes to your website can be tested to see if the conversion rate goes up or down depending on the specific changes. Several companies offer this for $20/month.
10. Put more time into building back links than anything else. SocialMarker.com will make your life a lot easier.